ProLaxShop

Why is so difficult to get a goalie into your team?

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Tommy_Tank

Re: Why is so difficult to get a goalie into your team?

Postby Tommy_Tank Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:58 am

UKLaxfan wrote:Also at training the goalie is the only position that has to be at 100% game speed as the ball still hurts in practice.

This is what i find most difficult as a goalie. Trainings can be short, approached very casualy and sometimes unplanned which could be ok for outfield players but it leads to:

-drills being targeted from whatever the team lacked in last weeks game and an un balanced session.
-drills not building effectively into game-like situations.
-drills not building up gradually with th aim of getting the goalie warm.

Im sure theres much more in it but these are just a few i could think of!
Hillcroft #44
Warwick Exiles #1
EX-Warwick Lacrosse #44
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Tommy_Tank wrote:
UKLaxfan wrote:Also at training the goalie is the only position that has to be at 100% game speed as the ball still hurts in practice.

This is what i find most difficult as a goalie. Trainings can be short, approached very casualy and sometimes unplanned which could be ok for outfield players but it leads to:

-drills being targeted from whatever the team lacked in last weeks game and an un balanced session.
-drills not building effectively into game-like situations.
-drills not building up gradually with th aim of getting the goalie warm.

Im sure theres much more in it but these are just a few i could think of!

A goalie will face more shots in practice than in a game, it's important that defenders play live and protect the goalie in training as well as attack players concentrate on finishing.

It doesn't matter who the goalie is if you just shoot the ball at the goalie so it hits him you won't score.
We have 10 press ups for any player that hits a goalie in training, or at least had as we haven't had a goalie at practice in a while.

The Goalkeeper is the most Under Coached position in the game and not enough emphasis is put on developing goalies.

If you watch any Canadian lacrosse and more recently in NCAA Lacrosse the whole team going to celebrate with the Goalie at the end of the game.

It is a unique position in sports, compare the protection a Hockey or Ice Hockey Goalie wears compared to lacrosse

We ask a guy to stand in the way of 90mph shots wearing a helmet, box and bib as protection!

And if they wear shin pads they get abused by other goalies for being soft :shock:
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:We have 10 press ups for any player that hits a goalie in training, or at least had as we haven't had a goalie at practice in a while

Up it to twenty and he might come back.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Ash

Postby Ash Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:38 pm

goalkeeping in training is in my relatively inexperienced goalkeeping opinion significantly harder than in matches and possibly the only position that this is the case for.

Getting cranked at from ten foot out 150 times a night is significantly more than in a game, and generally its a lot closer and at times unmarked!
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
LPierce

Postby LPierce Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Ash wrote:goalkeeping in training is in my relatively inexperienced goalkeeping opinion significantly harder than in matches and possibly the only position that this is the case for.

Getting cranked at from ten foot out 150 times a night is significantly more than in a game, and generally its a lot closer and at times unmarked!

I agree. Another factor which makes goalkeeping harder in training is that personally I find my adrenaline doesn't get going and you become much more conscious of the fact someone is trying to ping a ball god knows how hard in your direction. Sometimes the team don't realise that you have gone there to train, and not to play "shooting competition" consisting of crankshots with all the time in the world :evil:
AUMLC #5 2008-2013
AUMLC Secretary 2011/12
AUMLC Captain 2012/13
Granite City Gladiators #5 2008-2013
Scotland U21 #5 BNCs 2011
Lax Bandicoot #5
Yorkshire #5 BNCs 2012
Wilmslow #55 2013-

All posts by this user are personal opinions and do not speak for any team or organisation as a whole.
tobiasgoalie

Re:

Postby tobiasgoalie Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 pm

dizzy wrote:Once you have persuaded someone to try it, then they need a lot of encouragement in order to stick out that initial period where standing infront of flying balls just seems stupid. As a goalie myself, I know that I am always extremely important and that any goal that goes in is most definitely not my fault! :D

I know it's been a while since the last post but thought I'd share a story :mrgreen:

My fresher rep who played lax said if I didn't get in the uni rugby team to give it ago, he said they needed a keeper for the seconds. Didn't get in so had my first training session on the following Monday and ended up having my first whole game 2 days later(against Lincoln). Mine I guess was done by a bet :shock: Tell them to try it, I did and loved it! :mrgreen: (still do). Standing between the pipes has a feeling which few things can match :mrgreen:
Loughborough Lacrosse 2011-present

Return to “Goalie Tips”