ProLaxShop

getting down low by the pipes

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
monkeypoo

getting down low by the pipes

Postby monkeypoo Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 pm

hey guys, only started playing in october agotta say im loving every minute of playing and i feel im improving with every game but one thing thats annoying is my inability to make saves low down by the pipes! i dont have a problem with movement looking up field (although my reactions could be quicker :D) but when im standing by the pipes and try to make a save they just seem to work against me and restrict my movement to the ball.

anyone got any suggestions of how to make the saves by the pipes without getting in a mess or tangled?

cheers guys
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Work on stepping towards the shot. You should be a full stride forward by the time the ball gets to you. This should ensure you are off the goal line and well clear of anything that you could have been tangled with!
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLaxfan

Low shots on post

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:58 pm

There are a couple of options

1) Take a step out off the post so you are a foot in front of it. This means that you will have your hands free and won't get tangled up with the post.

2) Alter your stance so that you are lower almost squatting, baiting the attacker to shoot high. Explode to ball with stick if shot goes high. You are already in position if shot goes low.

Matt McMonagle (Cornell) used Option 2) to great success last season, earning 1st Team All American status in Goals.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:10 pm

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 1137790221

have a look for the lacrosse tab with the other sports on the right hand side.

The goalie videos there cover stepping to the ball as Trig and Uklaxfan have talked about
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
monkeypoo

Postby monkeypoo Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:12 am

cheers guys, i'll give it a go
steve flint

Postby steve flint Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 pm

asthe ball moves around the goal and you're stepping your parabola, get into the habit of having your heel against the post before you step out for the shot. if its high your stick should cover it without moving it, if its middling your pad will take it, but get into the habit of grounding your stick on low shots, but above all dont forget to step
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again

Return to “Goalie Tips”