ProLaxShop

Training Sessions

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Battleaxe

Training Sessions

Postby Battleaxe Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 am

Goalie tip training
Footwork for angles.

First job after all equipment is on inc shin pads.
Address the goal and mark a ‘D’ from post to post 3 feet radius on the ground.
This ‘D’ is the arch you move around on to cut down the angles.
You need 4 players –one behind on garbage and feeding. One mid-left, one centre, one mid-right at 15 yards first.

GK Feet shoulder width apart on your toes, on the D, to face Centre shooter. Stick down on ground as centre shoots to left then right of GK. GK steps left into shot and collects ball clear back to middle shot steps right collects ball clear. Footwork and moving to the ball starts here. This gives confidence, to a nine year old with a stick bigger than himself by saving ground shots and getting used to the speed of the ball. After all a new goalie cannot be holding it up in the air for 60 minutes- none stop, as this will fatigue his arms and render him useless as the 30th shot trickles past his ankle. Coaches screaming at juniors to keep your stick up need shooting themselves. Stick in the air comes later for shots from within 5 yards of the crease and attackers under pressure from defenders, which automatically puts shot in top corners. This applies to all Uni GKs and club GKs too.

Move to the left and align on the ‘D’ with the shooter on the left, taking ground shots left and right of the GK. Then repeat on the right side of goal. Preferable right handed shooter on GK left and left handed shooter on GK right hand wing. Goalie has now been stepping left and right with stick catching, the ball clearing and no injuries.

GK calls ball position before a shooter shoots. As GK gets his ‘eye in’ and warming up advance this with the ball being fed from behind GK starts facing the ball calling BEHIND and the feed goes to any one of the three shooters who now start to move around their 15 yard arch. GK has to now turn and centre himself on the receiver and take the low shot stepping left or right towards the ball on his ‘D’. Saving GK shouts CLEARING to garbage and calls ‘BEHIND’ to start the next feed with his STICK UP to intercept any feed.
As GK turns he gets the stick down because the ball is going out to 15 yards.
First session of 60 shots and No bounce shots. It is about getting success at saving the and feeling good. Achieving something.
GK two minute rest.
Second session work the ball around the four players and shoot randomly front left or right as players rotate going behind with the ball still at 15 yards. GK’s stick up on the posts and when ball is behind -stick down when ball goes out front. GK after 60 shots of rotating and moving from post to post staying on his ‘D’ moving his feet and hands GK needs a drink.

Session 3 is bounce shots stick handling now moves upward.
Session 4 is in at 10 yards and bounce shots. GK needs oxygen, a shower and then the bar.

Coach should record goals, saves and misses each session of 60 shots. Next week coach can check the improvement of his new goalie –fitness and reactions. Week three go to 10 yard and then 5 yards with top corner shots if GK is up to it.

You may wonder why 4 shooters well one if not on a penalty would be forming a pick somewhere the other is on the crease screening and being a nuisance to the centre of the five man defence. The crease man comes in week 3 for goalie training for close up work.

Week 4 is when the defenders turn up and fill their positions. They see a GK who can move, call and position himself. GK is not afraid of the ball he actually attacks the ball. Also GK’s stick handling is better than the defenders by now.

Remember the goalie is mopping up the mistakes of nine other players in front of him and he has a 50:50 chance he either saves it or it’s a goal. Stay on your toes and the ‘D’. The spin-off is the attackers have some moves and understand each other by week four. Good luck.

PS Ball oaks shoe string on your helmet.
CGKer

Postby CGKer Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Shin pads? No no no. Don't become relyant, or you will look like a gammer and players will not respect you and take every oppotunity to shoot. Looking right and being confident to all important.

Its just bruises....
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.
EGLC #19
G&J #60
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:45 pm

i stopped reading when i read shin pads
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Chlammy

Postby Chlammy Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:22 pm

top line... good effort sir! :D
Battleaxe

Thank you --- but others need to open their minds.

Postby Battleaxe Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Your mind is like a parachute: open it and you will not crash to the ground.

Perusing stories posted I aimed ‘The training tip’ at the new recruits to goalkeeping. We want them to be confident and stay in the cage for several seasons and gain honours.

Sweat pants over shin pads will stop you looking like a Paris fashion model on the cat walk as some may want to appear. When warming up and more so when starting out getting hit early on in the training will dampen performance. Invariably hit in the same spot 5 minutes later can bring out the white flag. 25 years on I have lumps in muscle tissue from my 5 years in the cage.

You have to be open minded to what works best for each goalie in terms of his choice of equipment. RE-read the training tip from the point of safety for the Coach and to the Goalkeeper. As GKs experience is gained and he is comfortable in the cage then he can discard undesirable equipment as and when he is ready. Also this was about training sessions not a live game. How many players in all sports have been injured in training before the big GAME.

I thank Chlammy for his gracious comment. As the request was for tips not rules.

CGKer, you must have forgotten but that is what the GK is there for to stop the shots.
If the shooter is shooting at the keeper and not aiming at specific areas then GK looks even better having an easy day in the office. If the extra shots happen to be saved on his shin pads then no injury and a frustrated shooter. That is win win in my book.

Both situations raise the motivation of the freshman keeper. It is not what you look like but can you do your job for your team?

As for Mr Stanford, crashed and burnt with no survivor. If there is little in the way of remains, then it would be a question of how small the collection needs to be to bury you.

Your mind is like a parachute: open it and you will not crash to the ground.
CGKer

Postby CGKer Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:39 pm

Battleaxe

Being a keeper myself, I have indeed not forgotten the role of a keeps. Its hard to.
However those are my opinions about the use of shin pads. The reliance on them is my worry.
Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one.

Some good stuff later on in your article I must agree.

Think you being a little harsh on Mr Stanford. Sure there would be plenty of people up for burrying him. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.

EGLC #19

G&J #60
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:39 pm

there are a few good points above however I will point out a few the should be adjusted,

A proper ready position should be learned from day 1, being top hand thumb at eye level, and top of stick level with cross bar (if do to height limitations this can not be achieved, 1 of 2 things can be done, if the keeper is young, allow them to stand as big as possible while holding the stick at the throat, if the keeper is fully grown then adjust the hand position on the stick, sliding the hand down the stick away from the throat until the head of the stick is even with the cross bar) once the hand and stick are aligned properly we can position the body, feet approximatly shoulder width apart, some prefer a wider stance, knees bent (depending on height the knee bend can be slight or deep), chest out over hips, and hand extended away from the body, giving a cushion.

This is how a keeper should stand at all times, and is why I do not agree with having the stick down to start, attending and coaching at goalie camps the 1st thing that is done is the goalie line up and get into their ready position and hold it for a period of time with the coaches going around and adjusting if needed, now the goalies at these camps range from 7 to 17 (in the US) or late 30s here in the UK. I can understand your point, their arms will get tired and will get sore until they develop the muscle to hold a stick for a long period of time, so give them a rest in between shots and allow them to reset before the next shot, this will reduce how tired their arms get.

The reason for this set up is part of being a goalie is minimizing movement, no not because we are lazy, but because we have such little time to react and move that a wasted 1/4" is the difference in a save v a goal.

Also when the ball is behind goal the goalie should not raise their top hand above the cross bar, keep it in their ready position. A few reasons why, it take the goalie out of their ready postion, it shows the attacker exactly where not to pass through, many goalies do not play with a very deep pocket and as such raising the stick above the crosse bar gives a 'backboard' to bank shots off of into the goal, it will require more time and movement when the ball is passed up top to turn, readjust top hand placement, and make a save, if a shot is taken low, they will have that much further to travel to make the save, if the ball is shot high, they may bring their hands too low and miss the shot on the way down.

So instead of raising the top hand, lower the bottom hand to the bottom of the stick, if a pass is made through the crease the keepr can extend the stick and pick of the pass.

thats enough for now.
LAXman CRW

Postby LAXman CRW Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:28 pm

if i saw a goalie with shin pads i would think they felt like they need because they were not as capable at saving lower shots and their legs have been hurt. so i would shoot low were it looks like their weakness it.
Willson
Pomey Captain #91
Ex Blues - #91
Blind Zebra

Postby Blind Zebra Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 pm

And if they wear a box they can't save shots on.......Suggest you don't wear a helmet in practice, you've not much to loose!

BeeZee
In glorious Black & White at a pitch near you.
dang1

Postby dang1 Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:21 pm

the trainin wasnt about wearing shin pads it was jus for beginners getting use to be in the cage, myself wear bare minium. jus the way
Blind Zebra

Postby Blind Zebra Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am

I don't see how not wearing shin pads can make you a great goalie. Reading and following Battleaxe and Mr Garvey's thoughts could help a lot. Joe also wrote a great article in the last issue of Lacrosse magazine covering all the goalie skills. Well worth a read by all goalies.

Pity the thread focuses on the irrelevant.

BeeZee.
In glorious Black & White at a pitch near you.
hollywood9

Postby hollywood9 Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:20 am

If you want to wear shin pads wear them!!! save the ball how ever u want. if u hold your stick down and save it with your head it doesnt mater. jus try to make good clears when possible...
HVCC lax #9

Salisbury - 2009
NJAnderton

Postby NJAnderton Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:34 am

DO NOT EVER WEAR SHIN PADS IN GOAL! FOR THE LOSS!
Wezalmighty

Postby Wezalmighty Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:07 pm

NJAnderton wrote:DO NOT EVER WEAR SHIN PADS IN GOAL! FOR THE LOSS!

Haha

Anyway, I'm not a believer of shin pads. at least, not the icehockey shin pads that some goalies have been seen wearing. Football shin pads maybe.

A goalie should really be trying to save with his stick where possible. I've seen a lot of goalies wear shin pads and then trying to make more body saves which result in more rebounds and rubbish clears

/my 2p
Wez Morris
#40 Portsmouth Uni
Koyunbaba

Shin Pads

Postby Koyunbaba Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:34 pm

On the subject of shin pads I've seen some pretty macho comments about not wearing them, however I do. For one good reason, I saw how much trouble a fellow goalie got into when he got hit on the shin and it didn't just end up in a bruise. He ended up with internal bleeding and compartment syndrome in the muscle running down the front of the shin which resulted in nerve damage & numbness in the foot and needed operations to sort out. Not being into taking unnecessary risks I wear the ice-hockey type shinguard now because I'm not naive enough to think I can get my stick to everything.

BTW for those who may have know him, the goalie who got hurt was Andrew Cheshire the Ashton goalie who later died on the pitch during a game. He was a good egg and living proof that goalies aren't all there.
CGKer

Postby CGKer Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59 am

Sorry to hear your story Koyunbaba. Regards.

Hopefully your friend did not pass away directly due to his previous shin injury....?

EGLC #19

G&J #60
Koyunbaba

Postby Koyunbaba Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:54 pm

No, Andy lived fast and partied hard his death wasn't a result of his shin injury.
Battleaxe

God bless Andy

Postby Battleaxe Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 pm

God bless Andy and Ashton’s Koyunbaba in remembering a player of our game that served his club and team-mates. As the Creator’s Spirit crosses the player’s line out, lets hope that Andy stays to watch his team-mates every game.

Watching a game recently, the agile goalie saved a shot and the ball rolled out several yards from crease. Attack and defence were well out of the hole at the time. GK darted forward on a 50:50 ball and chose to kick it into space for a fast break. As he got to the ball two attackers and one long stick reached their sticks for the ball too. It was a self-inflicted collision of goalie bare shin meets sticks. The goalie hit the floor in pain. The ball spilled back into to the centre of the hole where an attacker scooped and shot into the empty cage. Goal. No mercy from the referees, the Goal stood and the goalie lay on his back in pain for over two minutes.

What hurt the most the shin, the goal or both. In this case both. With shin pads on not only are they protecting you form internal bleeding and compartment syndrome as Koyunbaba reports, but they also become protection when you want to leave your crease and bulldoze your way clear. In fact any one in the game of lacrosse has the potential of kicking the ball and with that comes the potential to collide with other solid objects. Check out NLL Goalies they inflate their padding to be as big as possible to fill the goal. In field lax the agile goalie needs his undercarriage running efficiently for clears. So the balance is for the individual goalie.

First season, when learning and mainly staying close to the cage Robocop padding gives you the bulldozer effect as a weapon if needed. Second season, football shin pads may be more suitable if you are venturing over the halfway to parley with the opposition goalie. Third season, third option of no shin pads is when you are so good with your stick handling that you never get hit and every shot is really a slow pass. The third option is for the ones who would never take out life insurance for their children’s benefit, or house insurance, as there will never be a leak on the plumbing system.

Training tip as continues. After the fourth season you have probably faced all your attackers and they have studied you for your weak areas in the cage. As you have advanced to no shin pads level, but leaking like a sieve, change to left hand (or right handed if you are a left handed goalie). Warm up as the opposition warm up using your 2nd hand and the shots in the first quarter go to your 1st hand side. Logic here is warm up on your second hand, then play first hand. By half time the attackers have realised you are catching everything and will shoot the opposite corner and that is when you switch to second hand in the third quarter. The final quarter they have given up shooting as the score is 18-0. The goalie is the best stick handler of the team and these days you need to be dual handed as an outfield player is expected.

Probably too much info now. Going into the fourth quarter> When on the left post play right handed and on the right post play left handed.

Fifth season. Sell the opposition the wrong message. If your stick is down the shot is high. If your stick is held high the shot is low. NOW THE BIG QUESTION, if you prefer and have best success saving low shots hold your stick high in your weak area. Likewise if your best success is in the top half get your stick down covering your bare shins. Sell the dumb attacker your best space by leaving it open for their reactive under pressure glimpse at your net behind you. It is customary to say “thank you- CLEARING” or “NEXT and clearing”. You will say this for 80% of the shots at you guaranteed. As it is your fifth season showboating comes into play hence 20% is when you save the ball with your shaft or head it across goal with your face mask. This ultimately gives the ball back to the opposition and you let them have a second go. Showboating needs extra work if you do not want to have egg on your face so stay focused never take your eye of the ball and have fun. PS never showboat on the second return shot get possession of the ball, as 9 out of 10 times a third return shot always goes in and so does your clean sheet.
laxbuff519

Postby laxbuff519 Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:52 pm

the old tennis ball trick helps
S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Postby S-t-r-e-t-c-h Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:38 am

when did football style shin pads ever slow anybody down?
Shef uni #2
Jedi Lax #2
old-stockport #11
pop lacrosse ALLSTAR!

Return to “Goalie Tips”