ProLaxShop

Leg Pads

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:52 pm

Anyone else having problems watching the clips above. I've updates to the latest quicktime (and was forced to install iTunes too) but the video wont play in IE or firefox.

Oh wait, it's working now.
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
sotonsalmon

Postby sotonsalmon Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Ian#4 wrote:Its not my shins that I'm concerned with when (rarely) playing in goal, it's my knees. There's a lot that can get messed up there. I know that there's not much that can be done other than wearing massive pads, but are pads such as cricket pads actually legal? I see a lot of mixed keepers using them.

True about the knees looking back at this post, I've always had bounce shots I stop with my body rather then my stick hit the knees, and they always sting like hell. They're always ok afterwards despite how strong the shot was.

The only way to protect the knees legally would really be hockey leg pads, and like I said previously they restrict movement too much, especially when you're trying to step into those saves. I even found that they can sometimes cause you're stick to knock them and lose balance when moving to stop a shot.
Rian

Postby Rian Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:32 am

Well I just had my first session without shin guards or those gel padded shorts...interesting.

It was absolutely freezing and my two shooters were winding up a fair bit. 1st shot hit me inside leg; t'was a low snapfrom bout 4 metres out...left a nice big lump :D

The rest that followed were 2 to my left knee, 1 to my right, 1 on left ankle, 2 on left shin, 1 on right knee, 1 right shin...and last but not least 1 to the left testicle.

Point of all this is that I was still on the dance floor tonight and the stinging has gone; no permanent harm done. I'm now all for playing with no leg pads, as it allowed me greater manouverability.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
HaverGoalie

Postby HaverGoalie Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:24 am

Good man, glad to hear it.
Oxford Keeper 2005-2006

Haverford College, USA
Wolfey1313

ok now i get the thread thing

Postby Wolfey1313 Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:31 am

hey ok new to the whole lax thing and the forum but canadian and it is meant o be our national suport (see i always thought it was ice hockey...) but the whole leg pads no leg pads. i played for the first few weeks with no shin pads on and got hit so many times i had a massive lump on my right leg on the bone which has still not gone away so i have to confess to using shin pads there (i know i know) but that is it so maybe im half right. The whole coaching issue is also true. we recently got a visiting american coach to teach myself some new things and after only one week of it i was oh so much better. since then all i really get is people shooting at me and i dont really think thats much practice for me.
anyone got any tips i can take back to my team mates about a drill or three i can ask them to do for me?
cheers there guys
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
Wolfey1313

darn it forgot something again on posting

Postby Wolfey1313 Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:34 am

oh one more thing
the knee thing can u not wear skating pads? like knee guards?
i have to admit i am tempted and they dont increase the size of your legs at all and dont restrict movement in any way, shape or form. are they legal?
cheers again
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
HaverGoalie

Re: ok now i get the thread thing

Postby HaverGoalie Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:50 am

Wolfey1313 wrote:hey ok new to the whole lax thing and the forum but canadian and it is meant o be our national suport (see i always thought it was ice hockey...) but the whole leg pads no leg pads. i played for the first few weeks with no shin pads on and got hit so many times i had a massive lump on my right leg on the bone which has still not gone away so i have to confess to using shin pads there (i know i know) but that is it so maybe im half right. The whole coaching issue is also true. we recently got a visiting american coach to teach myself some new things and after only one week of it i was oh so much better. since then all i really get is people shooting at me and i dont really think thats much practice for me.
anyone got any tips i can take back to my team mates about a drill or three i can ask them to do for me?
cheers there guys

Be sure to speak up if you're just getting undefended shots and not getting any chance at making saves. There are a number of drills you can do on your own first of all. It's your responsibility to build reflexes and quickness on your own time. "Walking the line" is tried and true, start at one corner of the endline and walk to the other side stepping across the endline each time and making a save motion each step, (stickside high, offstick high, stickside hip, offstick hip, stickside low, off stick low.) Then place your stick perpendicular to the end line to creat a cross, jump first with two feet, then with one foot, over the stick diagonally into the boxes. Wall ball is crucial, a tennis ball works if you have fragile walls, try to hit the same spot for 30 minutes with both hands. Then try having someone throw the ball over your shoulder at the wall while you are facing the wall, so you get less time to react, great practice.

When you've got all of that together, there are a number of good drills to do on the field. One of the best in my opinion is making saves with the shaft of your stick. Have someone throw the ball to you with their hands, softly at first, and drive the shaft forward to puch the ball back to them. As you get better you'll be able to handle real shots with the shaft. Then, when you're a stud, bring a weighted bar from the weight room and use that, (or fill an old shaft with pennies or sand.) If you have specific problems like not keeping your head down on bounce shots, there are some crazy drills involving rope. In that case, your coach would tie your helmet to the stick so your head is dragged down with the stick to cover low shots. The rope can also be used to create a perimeter for stepping. If you aren't moving to the ball consistently, create an arc that you'll have to step over on each shot. A more straightforward drill for crease movement is having two of your teammates within about 5 yards of the cage passing back and forth rapidly and shooting unpredicatably. This will get you moving reliably as the ball changes position on the field. To switch that up you can have the players start with the ball behind and pass it over the goal quickly to someone in front, necessitating a quick turn.
Oxford Keeper 2005-2006

Haverford College, USA
Wolfey1313

cool

Postby Wolfey1313 Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:31 pm

ok thanks for that info
at the moment te thoughts are that just shooting is practice enough for me but i am hoping for more so will defo give them the drills u suggest and ask them to do it.
the agility thing i have a mox goal set up on my wall with numbers around it and i get random numbers said by my nifty laptop in a random sequence and have to place both hands on them in a set time increasing it slowly over the minutes untill its uber fast (helped me alot anyway)
thanks again fellow northamerican
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
Rian

Postby Rian Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:08 pm

At the moment I have one player on our team, who works with me. Then if there's time I let the rest of the team have shooting practice on me.

'Walking the line' gets the specific movements engrained in your muscle memory and has been recommended to me.

Also in terms of having a spacial awareness of your goal and crease, tie a long piece of string to each of your goal posts and have your 'shooter', holding the ends of the string, walk round the semi-circle from your left post to you right. This will show you what angles you need to cover and how far to step out to cut the angles.

Hope it helps...
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Tom_Southampton

Pads Havergoaile

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:53 pm

Don't know if anyones mentioned it but can I refer Havergoalie to the picture on page 34 of the current issue of Lacrosse Talk. Thats what a goalie should look like haha
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
HaverGoalie

Re: Pads Havergoaile

Postby HaverGoalie Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:25 pm

Tom_Southampton wrote:Don't know if anyones mentioned it but can I refer Havergoalie to the picture on page 34 of the current issue of Lacrosse Talk. Thats what a goalie should look like haha

Anyone want to post the pic, no idea what you're talking about
Oxford Keeper 2005-2006

Haverford College, USA
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:36 pm

nope my scanner doesn't work, and can't find it on the web

South Unis #6 (once)
Ash

Postby Ash Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:57 pm

haha tom i didn't see that. haven't got the copy but assume its Misteree at the london tournie
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
Ash

Postby Ash Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:02 pm

i found in my brief dalliance with goal keepin a few weeks ago that when i saw shots coming from any kind of range in my main reaction was to drop to one knee and use the stick (awaits innuendo) to cover the corners whilst give me more position on the lower shots (not out of any fear of the ball). I know nothing about goalkeeping and have only played it in a womens/mixed environment before, but it just seemed like the natural reaction to give the best position to use the stick. But as i say i have no experience/knowledge and i suppose its vastly different in mens when the dropping time might make the difference
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Ice hockey keepers all know that you can move your hands up faster than down so perhaps you should always hold the stick low

South Unis #6 (once)
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:43 pm

The keeper who plays in the same team as me wears Shin pads only. For a couple of years he wore the big hockey goalie thigh pad things osme poeple have talked about, but no longer does, for the mobility. To be honest, as a defender (and on a couple of occasions a stand-in keeper), i've taken a few shots in the leg and have no shame in saying I think that any goalie wearing leg pads if fair enough. The most recent incident was one where I took a shot from the top corner just below the knee and just had to drop out of the game for 5 minutes. If I'd been a goalie, where would that have left my team?
As for goalkeeper mobility, again speaking as a D rather than anyone else, I'd rather see a goalie that can pas the ball well than can run around an attacker. Last season I was fortunate enough to play at Old Stopfordians a couple of times with their american goalkeeper TJ Barnett. An understrength side won the plate at the Cheshire 6s and the 1st team got promoted, largely (though not wishing to detract from the team as a whole) on the fact that TJ could distribute the ball very well. It keeps the attack alert and looking to open themselves up, it gets you more goals in transition and it puts the opposition on the back foot. I never saw him "go for a run" or anything else like that, the whole of his distrobution was based on his passing.
Sorry, got a little rantish, but a couple of things to ponder on...
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:57 am

ibop wrote:The keeper who plays in the same team as me wears Shin pads only.

:shock: :shock:
Stinkypete

Postby Stinkypete Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:40 am

He's gonna be damn cold in this weather :!: Still, must attract some extra female spectators at least. :D
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
Hitchin A Goalie No.18
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:33 pm

I have actualy taken to wearing no shin pads at all now.
Kind of strange but I am using my stick low alot more now, realising there is no protection there anymore which, I think, is making me a better keeper with low shots at least.
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:26 am

Dammit, fingers moving faster than brain processing information. Chest pad too, possibly arms + helmet & gloves obviously. Every time he trains without shin pads he gets hit in the legs.

I should have added to above that i've noticed playing against a couple of uni keepers that they tend to be going at the ball with the legs first and hoping it hits them, rather than making a positive attempt with the stick. I guess thats something that comes with experience & practise. (I should point out I'm not critising those keepers at all, I **** myself whenever I end up in the cage, even if I'm only popping in as cover when the keeper goes AWOL)
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09

Return to “Goalie Tips”