ProLaxShop

Leg Pads

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Rian

Postby Rian Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:41 am

I agree with ibop that a shot to the knee is pretty damn painful...try 2 to the right knee and one to the left within 15 mins. But I gotta say sometimes getting hit in the shins keeps you more focussed...no I'm not trying to be big it's just help me get my stick down quicker :P

And w.r.t. the distribution vs. running up the field; I think it depends on the kind of player you are/your team mates are. I you're quick and agile then I see no reason why your D-men and middies can't draw their opponents out to leave you with a 'tunnel' through which you can set up an attack with a man over. Likewise if you have a very accurate long pass and quick breaking forwards, then by all means launch the counter. I think it is very much a subjective issue.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:20 pm

With the leg pads i do agree that less padidng makes u faster (like I said recently) but I reckon what ever suits the individual is best.
As with running up the pitch, I reckon that a slow take out (i know its called something else, slowly moving up the field with the ball drawing a man to give a clear run for a team mate) is great and i do it all the time. I also think its a lot better than just simply trying to make your goalie a threat by him or her running up the pitch. It seems a little pointless. If your a goalie then there is very very very little chance u r going to get even a sniff of a chance to score. Also by being a goalie, you know this so it irritates me when I hear Goalies winging about not being allowed "out of the goal". Thats the whole point of being a goalie, to be in the goal.
Now ok when your a goalie you get about all of 7 seconds of game time when someone shoots at you which is a hell of a lot less than others. Sometimes its more yeah and sometimes it less but its a lot less than everyone else. But thats ok because you have to accept that and its cool because being a goalie is (as tony the tiger would say)
GGGGGGGGREEEEAT
So im not really against goalies moving out of the goal because hey, were not statues. But winging about it. HELL NO!!
I also dont see the need to urn up the pitch to try and score. But thats just me :roll:
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:52 pm

having played a couple of games in goal in the preceeding fortnight before the christmas break, i must say that i have come to appreciate both sides of the argument

The first (training) game i played with legpads (padded shorts and footy style shin pads) and my arm guards and ok i didnt do to well (but that was mainly due to my lack of talent than the pads i think), but i felt somewhat restrained, i was playing the game with a different mentality, i was very passive, where as (i think) i am quite agressive and try to impose myself on the opposition

The second with out padded-shorts, shin pads or arm guards, i felt a lot more in control, and took a much more aggressive stance to balls either coming my way being fed to the crease or dropping down in front of goal.

This may just have been a subconcious decision after being disappointed with the way i played, or it was the feeling of freedom that comes with being less encumbered by padding.

Although the ball does hurt (no seriously we all pretend that it doesnt but it does) and getting hit at any time isnt really pleasent, the statement of "IM NOT BOTHERED ABOUT BEING HIT AS LONG AS I SAVE IT" that obviously not wearing certain pads gives off can be a motivator for the defence, and a distraction for the attack.
Two Up!
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:58 pm

I agree
I have to say that I am the first to say nothing to my teamates when it actualy hurts like a beast but when it dont hurt at all i do find myself going "oww".
But hey I am thinking shorts i wear and a box (I dont care what anyone says, No box is just plain dumbass) and gloves, helmet and chest plate is all form now on in games at least (maybe not in practice tho :oops: )
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:33 pm

no box = no brains
Two Up!
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:39 pm

I hear that
also u then have no balls either (take that statment as u like :lol: )
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
Hector

Postby Hector Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 am

Hi Guys I play for Manchester Lacrosse Club WACS in Goal and its my first season back after not playing for 3 years and boy have i missed it.

I have recently bought new chest pad new gloves and helmet but dont get me started on that!

I too am a firm believer that less is more. I once played without my chest pad in a game when i was 19 (Sunday Night League). There are stories of a goalie in the states who did this on a regular basis. (But no Box...........?)

I have never played another position (And i have played for 14 years) and i love it. When i started training pre season i was getting covered in bruises but they sting more than hurt, i would never say they hurt. As time gone on this season i am getting less and less bruises so i am either getting my stick to more or i am letting more in!!!!

As for coming out of your goal if you can put one onto the attacker early in a game (Take him out on the Crease) Then i am alllll for that. It makes them think other wise later in the game knowing that if they get to close to the crease they no what is coming. :twisted:
"24 Hours in a Day 24 Beers in a case Coincidence....!"
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:02 pm

An interesting point concerning 'putting one on an attacker'.

At our training camp last Easter we had the privilege of having Greg Cattrano with us. He held a goalie clinic with around 25 goalies and one question he asked was 'what do you do on a 1-on-1?'

Almost without exception the reply was 'come out'.
After asking why .............answers were 'cutting down the angles' etc. Greg indicated that in the MLL there is absolutely no chance that he is going to 'take out' an attacker in the MLL. Generally, they can be over 6ft and 200lbs, that job is the defenders role!

He claims that whenever he comes out, the usual result is a goal!
When he stays in his crease he saves a lot. Why? He believes that giving the attacker a little longer to think about what he wants/ needs to do may make him a little more nervous. If he comes out then he partly makes the attacker decide what he needs to do, thereby a more positive decision?

This in no way suggests that what Greg does is correct or will be right for everone else. He just offered it as what works for him.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:09 pm

I probably reckon you are right on this one.
I'm a fan of hitting the attackers where possible, it's just about timing it right. I'm all for trying to get them whilst they are collecting a pass on the edge of the crease or on a break, i.e. not giving them time to react.
When a clear one on one is taking a place, stick to the goal. As stated above it does give you more control over what is about to happen. You can actually encourage them to shoot where you want them to shoot, giving your more chance to save it.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:16 pm

interesting one this one - as an attacker i LOVE it when a goalie comes out to play me, and even more when he tries to take me out (all 5'7 and 10st9 of me) - regardless of how i get hit, whether i'm on the deck or not even able to see the goal, if the keeper's out to play me i know all ive gotta do is get the ball going towards the cage and its in - no placement, no accuracy just get it round the keeper (not that difficult with a 3 foot stick) and between the 6x6. i've scored at least 4 this season that i can think of when the keeper's come out to hit me and i've either dumped it past him as i got hit or rode the hit and side-stepped enough to get the shot away
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:34 pm

that photo of you in your avatar has been air brushed! I think it was to hide the love habdles. But you really shouldent have left your leg white, its a give away that some editing has been done!
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Hector

Postby Hector Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:37 pm

Judement & Timing is every thing i am sure you will agree. And i agree for an attacker it can be made very easy if you catch the keeper tear ar*ing out of his cage it can be a very simple quick stick in the back of the net.

But the occasion when you read the play the attacker is looking over his shoulder looking for the pass screaming he is free Occasionly having to jump in the air to take the pass and all he is thinking of if i catch this im One On One! And Bang Hellllllo his feet have'nt touched the floor or his head has just turned and suddenly his feet are still running but his body is going in the oposite direction. Brilliant.

I will find the example i was shown a couple of weeks back.

But on the other occasion when you can see it and you know you wouldnt get there edge of crease and hold and Dance as the attacker trys fake after Fake after save.
Hector

Postby Hector Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:44 pm

laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:that photo of you in your avatar has been air brushed! I think it was to hide the love habdles. But you really shouldent have left your leg white, its a give away that some editing has been done!

this is only partly true - it has been adapted but only to make me appear taller. and the white leg isnt a mistake of airbrushing, just an unfortunate incident whilst sunbathing on a hot day with a towel left on my leg...
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:37 pm

nice vid - he aint riding that hit!
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:22 pm

seen that one b4, but 2 major ponints. 1st thats a ground ball not a feed and hardly a 1 on 1. second thing i thought maybe i should point out.... ITS BOX :P

Love the vid though
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Hector

Postby Hector Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Both valid points. But the point of it was a goalie is to stop shots and stay in the goal.

But when there is an opotunity to level the attacker and every thing feels like it is going in slow motion its a beautiful thing!
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:03 pm

Beautiful but rare!
Rian

Postby Rian Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:02 pm

Through mixed I'm finding that I'm more comfortable staying on my line, maybe shuffling a little to my off-stick, and trying to read the shot. Most of the time when I actually save it's mainly with my body as I'm finding it hard to read it well enough to get my stick on it.

This might also have something to do with my size. I'm just uder 11 stone and have had only one succesful takeout, which still resulted in a goal as my defence was nowhere and 2 opposition attackers sandwiched me! I was just wondering what the correct technique for take-outs are, if I actually have to use it?
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
vipe

Postby vipe Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:23 am

I probably havent played half as much than anyone else here (4 games) in goal, but what i found is that sometimes when there's only attackers just in front of you or a cutter, if you run to them they seem to not expect it and there's no need to actually put them down(i.e. I'm not big enough... :oops: ) but you can just make them rush and miss the shot or make them drop the ball.

As to pads I am proud to say that i lost the big chin and knee pads :D hurts like hell but its so much easier to move! One thing I might get is those ankle protectors footballers use...don't think ill be able to move my feet if it its my ankles like its been hitting my chins! Also I got the warrior goalie pants, light and protect not only the family jewels but also the hips.

EDIT: I also use small foam elbow pads but wear them to protect my forearms.
Last edited by vipe on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Goalie Tips”