ProLaxShop

For all goalies in England?

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

How much padding do you wear??

The bare minimum (helmet, gloves, chest pad, box)
70%
A little extra, a shoulder peice on the chest pad, 1 shin pad
16%
A noticeable amount more (shoulder pads, shin pads)
11%
I look like a box goalie on grass
4%

Total votes: 56
joe garvey

For all goalies in England?

Postby joe garvey Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:48 pm

My previous topic brought up a few points with havergoalie, so I'd like to know if you are a goalie or have just been made to play, how much do you wear??

I personally wear the minimum. I dont like to feel restrained, and since I like to run around the more I wear I feel restricts my movement.

And yes I am very bored at work today, hense all the posts.
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:52 pm

I'm just wondering how (small) shinpads restrict movement in anyway. Footballers seem to move around just fine.
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
Bubblegoose

Postby Bubblegoose Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:57 pm

I think the options to the poll need amending. The final option...

'I look like a box goalie on grass'

Should really say...

'I am John Marr!.......OUT....OUT...!'
Anything i say is dog toffee
Hector

Postby Hector Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Did anyone play on Sunday at Stockport?

I am still covered in bruieses and love it. I could hardley move my arms on Monday due to the swelling mainley provided by attackers trying to get the ball off me as i tried to doge pass them!

I should know better and stay in my crease.

Great day for Goalies except for me who gave away the ball in the final of the plate!

But very enjoyable way to finish the season off!
"24 Hours in a Day 24 Beers in a case Coincidence....!"
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Easy there Bubblegoose, lets all take a page from what havergoalie hopefully learned when he 'discussed' Johns choice of padding and style of play.

In responce to Ian, small shin pads don't restrict movement, but what is being worn by some, might not be considered a small shin pad.

When I used to wear one, it used to be a about 8 inches by 5 inches, made by the physios for all the goalies, as they were probably sick of hearing us ask for ice or ultrasound to break up calcium deposits. And this was then taped to the part of my shin I felt needed it on any given day.
cjlax

Postby cjlax Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:47 pm

As a non- goalie, but having shot a lot of balls past them, but also straight into them, I would think that the level of padding worn, should be proportionate to the level of stick skill the goalie has, ( this is if you wish to reduce the ammount of padding, anyone can always wear lots!)

I hate to have to shoot on goalies who think they are cool, through wearing the minimum, and then to see myself ripping shots into their arms and shins becuase they are not quick enogh to react! It's just got to hurt. (and also if it's practice, you're only messing up your own goalie before important games!!)

Definatly some pads are excessive, but say, football shin pads, are ok, whats wrong with them? Also maybe slash arm guards, for the elbows, small and non restrictive, thus reducing brusing and other potential problems.

To sum it up - sensible padding should be worn!
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:15 pm

hector

really? i find tournaments like that a git for keepers as i don't think i had a warm up all day (possibly down to sheer lazyness or the hangover admittedly and i need one too) and found it tricky to get into playing well at all - the speed of it and the size of pitches invites higher scoring games - i should know i usually end up bagging a whole bunch of goals in short sided tournies (not as a keeper!)

and was that for the game winning goal with a few secs left???? ouch

as for the padding personally i wear bare minimum (when i remember it all), though can see why some choose to wear more - i agree with cj it's about what's sensible and how quick a keepers reactions are to get his stick to the shots (and maybe a pair of little elbow ones if you're a runner - i've been surprised how few attackers / middies go for my elbows when i step out cos it hurts like a bitch if you get caught properly)
Rian

Postby Rian Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:16 pm

I started off with field hockey shin guards, padded shorts and shoulder pads as 'extras'...along with the usual requisites.

Now that I'm more confident in my stick skills I wear the bare minimum with the addition of american football shorts to protect my knees which have been severely damaged in the past. I guess that's what you get from jumping off 30 foot cliffs with 2 planks of wood strapped to your feet :P

But I can see why people would want to wear more. As discussed in previous topics, I guess it depends on your style of play, your physique and mentality and ultimately whatever you feel comfortable in. If you can help your team by stopping the opposition from scoring more than you do, I guess it's a job well done.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Whitey

Postby Whitey Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:33 pm

I had my first in-goal experience on Saturday. I played in a friendly for a Wilmslow 2nd team against a Blues 2nd team, and actually enjoyed it, although I'm not sure how keen i would have been on facing any genuinely quick shots.

2 things occurred to me whilst playing, and makes me respect you goalies a lot more than I did before:-
1) Warming-up is more nerve racking and hurts more than the match itself. I've got the utmost respect for my EG team-mate, Dan Hunter, who for 2 hours every Thursday stands in goal, whilst I direct various drills which generally involve Dan being shot at. But then again, he has improved a great deal over the last year!

2) The only time I felt concerned for getting hurt was when I came out on the clear. I don't mind getting bashed up by an opponent, but having no protection on the elbows was in my mind. Do any of you goalies ever consider a pair of short elbow pads might help your game?
young_trig

Postby young_trig Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm

I know I put this on another thread, but I want to know your opinions.
On sunday morning, at the stockport 8's, I brought a new pair of STX Pro Amp Goaly gloves. Basically they have extra padding on the thumb for goalkeepers. My old gloves were Brine L-35's, I've been using them for over 10 years.

I don't usually get hit on the thumb but decided they wouldn't do any harm. By the end of the day I had been hit on the thumb no less than 3 times. And each chuffin time it bloody hurt! I went for an x-ray and and discovered that I had in fact broken my thumb. Sods law considering I had just brought extra padded gloves!

When I look at the design of the glove I am wondering if it makes the thumb stick out more. It my be extra padded but it doesn't half stick out like a sore thumb (maybe a bad choice of phrase!!!). My old gloves allowed the thumb to curve around the shaft a bit more. Has anybody else found their thumbs take a bit more of a beating in the new style gloves?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Young trig,
Check this post, I give a summary about goalie gloves. The brine goalie thumb is by far the best on its own. The other options allow for the thumb to press below the protection.

http://www.laxforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1261

What you can do is:
1, Wrap tape around the thumb on the glove so that the thumb stays inside the protection,
2, get some thermal plastic and foam and make a mold of your thumb and then trim and insert it in the glove.

Oh and also start investing in arthritis medicine and companies that make it, by the time we hit 'old age' our thumbs should certainly be causing us loads of trouble
HaverGoalie

Postby HaverGoalie Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:51 pm

I hate the STX Pro Amp thumb, only use it because haverford has a deal with STX. My latest of three blackened thumbnails this year has almost grown out, they aren't even close to offering the necessary protection. Maybe one day someone will actually design gloves for goalies from scratch instead of modifying gloves designed for something different. I'm eager to try Brine per Joe's recommendation.
Oxford Keeper 2005-2006

Haverford College, USA
Princess

Postby Princess Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:32 pm

im not a goalie but i do have a pair of brine supercrosse gloves (defts have same thumb) and it has a hard plastic case on thumb for an out field players glove which is super hard. the fingers and thumb are mildly stiff to begin with but they love abuse and after a few wall ball sessions and some bending they are quality absolute monters, look the mutts as well. Was gonna sell my second pair but prob wont now cos when this pair wears out il have a nother set ready to go :D
NeilTheGoalie

Postby NeilTheGoalie Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Whitey wrote: Do any of you goalies ever consider a pair of short elbow pads might help your game?

I've got a small pair of deBeer elbow guards (like the ones made for d-men). They're not at all restrictive and way better than an orange sized lump inflicted by some attack guy whos narked cos he just got beaten by a goalie!

Also, I wear BMX shinpads - a little longer than footie ones (from ankle to just below the knee), but in no way any more restrictive; after all they are made to ride bikes in. They do make your legs a bit sweaty though.

Thats it for me though - no extra bulky chest pad or padded shorts. I think these are much too restrictive, especially for active goalies.
Life is a game. Play hard
HaverGoalie

Postby HaverGoalie Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:20 pm

I'm proud to have this in my shorts:

I'm also proud that the area of lax forums devoted to the field lacrosse position with the fewest representatives on these forums has the most posts. I guess we live up to our vocal reputation. Check it out, way more posts in the goalie forum than any other.
Oxford Keeper 2005-2006

Haverford College, USA
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:40 pm

HaverGoalie, its all about the target, maybe u should try and wear them on the outside kinda like superman, bet it would put the attack off their game

I'd certainly want to shoot at the target and not the goal!

And from the posts the heirarchy is definitely Goalie>defence>midfield/attack

We all know the defence as a whole is the loudest part of the team
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
oldfartwithbigstick

Postby oldfartwithbigstick Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:02 pm

being a goalie takes a certain mind set, you're gonna feel the pain no matter what you wear.. so just get used to it

broken toes and thumbs are all part and parcel of playing in the cage, but at least you get some revenge from time to time with a well timed takeout, or a nice hard swing of your axe... felling the arrogant soandso who dares to shoot on you from within hitting distance.

i just remember what some old dead yank once said... but as always Ive mongrellised it...

all goalies... should shout loudly. carry a big stick.. and spread fear and dread amongst all attackers.

in the end, the goalie always wins
CGKer

Postby CGKer Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Following my discussion with our trainee second team goalie after E-ball at the weekend (Very short pitch/5 on 5).
It would appear that although he made a respectable number of saves, many were with his legs and arms. Where as I having a few more years in the cage had very few bruises compared and as the teams switched regularly we were both facing the same opponents.

So in essence what I'm saying is, don't were lots of padding it will slow you down and make the attack shoot at you because you don't look confident.

Put up with the bruises when you are new to the game. It will encourage you to get better/faster hands.

Respect to all tenders.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.
EGLC #19
G&J #60

Return to “Goalie Tips”